Thursday, October 22, 2009

Goldilocks and the Three Bears Meets The Magic School Bus - stART Project

For stART (story + ART, hosted by A Mommy's Adventures) this week, my oldest daughter decided to revisit a couple of the stories we read earlier in the week.


She illustrated her own version of the Three Bears story, taking inspiration from Magic School Bus illustrator Bruce Degen, and adding cartoon speech bubbles to the characters. I suggested, that she also add some short fact sheets about bears, like we've seen in some of the other Magic School Bus books, but I was informed, that the fact sheets, and reports only appear in the chapter books, and clearly, Goldilocks and The Three Bears is a picture book. Okay then.


She chose to do all of her drawing in pen. I had originally thought to have the little ones color them in later, but she's done such a nice job of shading, and adding texture, and details with the pen, it doesn't seem necessary.


Adding the little bubbles, prompted her to think more about the characters, in order to give them personality, and it showed up in her drawings as well. I especially like the little step stools under Baby Bear's chair, and the sippy cup on the tray Papa Bear is carrying

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like her drawings! She did the expressions so cute :)

sbswtp said...

What a fantastic project!!! It came out really well :)

Debbie said...

What a great little artist you have there. Her pictures turned out great!

Denise said...

Clever girl!

Ticia said...

so very cute! I love the speech bubbles. I'm eagerly looking forward to that point in their development.

Adriana said...

Your daughter is a very good artist!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am very impressed with what your daughter did - her drawings are so detailed. I don't think I could do it any better than she did :)

Michelle said...

What great drawings! Thanks for linking up :0)