Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread French Toast


I found the yummiest recipe for pumpkin gingerbread this week, at There Is No Place Like Home (click, here, to go to the recipe page). Someone mentioned in the comments, that they turned theirs into french toast - that sounded like something we had to try.

I made a batch of the gingerbread, dividing it into two round cake pans, to eat right away, and one 9'' x 13'' cake pan, to use for french toast.

I cut it into gingerbread men shapes with a cookie cutter, scooping out the extra gingerbread from around the little men, until I could lift them out of the pan.

Then, I cut them in half, so they wouldn't be too thick, and left them to dry out, on a plate, for about 24 hours.


From there, I prepared them just like normal french toast, though I did add a splash of vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon to the egg and flour batter I used.
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 eggs
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
And, I only gave them a quick dip, instead of a long soak, in the batter, so they wouldn't get too mushy.



After browning them in the pan, I sprinkled them with powdered sugar, and served them with maple syrup, and a few banana slices, for good measure. They'd probably also be good with whipped cream, and maybe a caramel drizzle - but I could be getting carried away. We actually went out for a good brisk walk after we ate them. There aren't too many things that can top a walk in the crisp fall air, with the taste of gingerbread, and pumpkin still lingering in your mouth.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: