Saturday, October 3, 2009

Super Simple Pumpkin Pie Fruit Leather


We had some pumpkin pie mix left over after making the pumpkin ice cream, that I didn't want to waste (apparently, we're in the middle of a national pumpkin shortage). So, I decided to try turning it into a fruit leather snack for the kids.

I spread the mix out, as thin as possible, over a cookie sheet, covered in aluminum foil, sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.


I baked it at the lowest setting on our oven (170 degrees Fahrenheit), for 4 1/2 hours. After removing it from the oven, I cut it into pumpkin shapes, with a pumpkin cookie cutter, while it was still warm.


I let it sit for a few more hours on the counter, to dry a little more, and then peeled the shapes off the foil, removing the extra bits first, and then cutting the foil apart, to make it easier to peel away.



I'm sure it could have been rolled in wax paper, and stored in an airtight container for a while, but ours didn't last that long. After smelling the delicious pumpkin pie aroma all day long, the children were ready to sample it, as soon as it was ready. And although, pumpkin pie fruit leather might sound a little odd, it turns out to be a pretty tasty treat. It received a thumbs up all around - in our house, anyway.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Marcee said...

There's no pumpkin shortage at our house, I harvested 16 sugar pumpkins yesterday!! Pumpkin pie, bread, muffins, ect. here we come! I'm not so sure about the pumpkin leather though. We've done the pumpkin ice cream before, very tasty.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm so jealous! I have two sugar pumpkins, and they are still green.

The pumpkin leather really does work (Doug raised an eyebrow at first, too), but if you make it with fresh pumkin, you'll need to add some sugar and spices.

nikki/WhiMSy love said...

Hiya!
I love the pumpkin cutout idea for the fruit leather!

(Oh, also: I need your address so I can send out the party giveaway you won! :0)
whimsy-girl [at] hotmail [dot] com
{Thanks!}

Chrissie said...

Was yours just spiced as you would a pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc)? I have a lot of pumpkin and would like to try this! Thanks for the idea...
Walizgrl

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Yes - spice exactly as for a pumpkin pie - or use the canned pumpkin pie mix, that already has the spices included - then don't add anything.