Friday, April 4, 2014

Doubting Thomas Tube - Super Simple Easter Craft


While reading the story of Jesus confirming to his disciples, and specifically Thomas, that he was alive again, found in John 20:19-29...



...I had my youngest two copy, color...


...and glue the last part of verse 29 around empty cardboard tubes.

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.



Thomas had seen Jesus die with his own eyes.  He wasn't going to believe the reports that He was alive again, unless he saw, and touched Jesus, himself.


We talked for a while about Thomas.  It's hard to blame him for doubting.  You can't always believe everything you hear, or even see (after all, we've even seen penguins fly!).

"In fact," I told the children.  "I can even show you a hole right through your own hands.  Have I ever shown you that before?"


Apparently, I hadn't.


Which is surprising, because the old hole in the hand illusion has always been one of my favorites. (Note to homeschooling parents of largish families:  Just because you've shown something to your older children, doesn't mean the younger children won't need to see it, too).


Anyway, once we'd finished looking at the holes in our own, and each other's hands, I brought it back to the story.  The holes Jesus showed to Thomas weren't illusions, Thomas had seen the nails driven in.  But, seeing wasn't the point, believing was what mattered then, and what still matters today.  God gave Thomas what He needed, and while different, He gives us today, what we need, too.

For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.  Luke 11:10 NIV


6 comments:

Unknown said...

How in the WORLD have I never tried the "Hole in the Hand Trick" before? What a great mini lesson on doubt mixed with a bit 'o Science!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Even though we have clearly descended from Thomas in our relationship to religious "facts", I really enjoyed reading through the post and learning the hole trick!

Christy Killoran said...

You put together the best lessons. I love this. I can't believe I've never shown my kids the holes in their hands. On my to do list for today.

Anonymous said...

I love this lesson, but I wish you had included the hole in the hand illusion? I don't know it and I am feeling very foolish indeed because everyone else does. (pouting.)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It's very simple...just hold the tube next to your hand, if it's your left hand look at it with your left eye, while looking through the tube with your right eye. Keep both eyes open, and you should see a hole in your hand. Or, click the link in the post for better instructions :)

Anonymous said...

I had never seen the hole in hand before- pretty amazing! And I love this craft for my SS clas to do! Thank you so much! God bless!